Saturday, September 21, 2013

My Grandmothers...

My grandmothers... in hindsight, of course, were two of the strongest women that i will ever meet... and looking at my life now i feel that this will remain forever true... They were the backbone and neck bones of the family for both my mother and father.

My mothers' mother Grace Delores Jones... did not take mess off of NOBODY!!! Living in Miami but originally from Bainbridge, GA she was a force to be reckoned with!! She raised her children as a married women and as a single mother. She did NOT play. She demanded respect from EVERYONE no matter the language or nationality and she loved me. She loved me with a tender love that I knew was just for me and I do miss her. After her death, my mothers family has not been the same. We do not meet or get together at all, because there is nowhere to go...Grandma's house and Grandma's food is gone... My daughter may never see what our family used to look like... we were more than strangers in the night... we were together.

My father's mother Mary L. Nora Smith (Nelson) was also a strong woman. She was the church secretary and cooked what seemed to be a never ending buffet of food. The weekends were always full of food, laughter and gospel music. Again, laughter was everywhere and love too. She was always giving to someone something they might need or just plain needed. She had fruit trees in the back yard that she alway gave some fruit to someone... and i mean bags and bags of fruit. She was able to remain married to her husband because... she loved him... duh!! After she passed, another death occured in the family, the death of the get together. There is nowhere to go to be a family together. I miss my family...

I don't have a house... but when I do get one... Im inviting everyone over or east allowing everyone to come by if they want to drop by to come to my house for fun, food and MOST importantly fellowship. My grandma's house is how i got to know all of my cousins and aunts and uncles and anyone else i am related to... if we don't change this... our true family will disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2024 RECORD BREAKING YEAR!!!!!!!